Friday, September 23, 2011

ITALIAN GARDENS STATUARY By Cecelia Lyden



oil/stretched canvas

11x14


The Italian Gardens is one of several different landscapes at Felicita, a resort in Harrisburg. After much rain and a predicted rainout of our raindate, several of us, plein air painters were able to catch a partially sunny, dry mornng this past Monday.

The gardens is a large area, with three tiers of formal landscaping , reflecting pools, sculptures, pottery and fountains, arbors, walks, paths, nooks and crannies. It took some time just to scout the area, take pictures and decide on what to paint. I chose this sculptural piece, situated on a lovely reflecting pool. It was quite challenging and I did not finish on site, even though I painted for several hours. I finished it in studio, after working on it for more hours. I will not classify this work as plein air for that reason.

5 comments:

Kathy Michels said...

Wow Cecelia - this is beautiful. I had to read to see if this was a painting or a photograph. It came out so gorgeous.

Unknown said...

You definitely captured the beauty and tranquil atmosphere at the reflecting pool. I can almost hear the trickle of the water.

Julie Riker said...

Great job with this Cecelia! The symmetry really works here - love how it circles you around the center.

Tatiana said...

I'm mad I missed that paint out. But it was nothing I can do. Cecilia, you work is looking great, congratulations!

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

So beautifully painted, Cecelia. Sure wish I could have been there.