Friday, September 30, 2011

"American Goldfinch" By Debra Tritt Kreiger

"American Goldfinch" 7.5"x10" watercolor on Arches 140lb paper

I've been working on this painting for a little while. The challenge I had was placing this beautiful goldfinch in a pleasing and exciting background. I take my own photo reference pictures so I'm learning to look for interesting places to incorporate the wonderful creatures I encounter. I worked on giving the background some nice texture and color to provide harmony and interest to the painting. The sunflowers are great since I wanted to show him with a seed! Turned out to be a bright and cheery painting! Hope you like it!

To contact me about the purchase of this painting or see more of my work go to www.debkreiger.com or follow my blog at debkreiger.blogspot.com or you can shop in my new store, Deb's Gifts

11 comments:

Cecelia Lyden said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cecelia Lyden said...

Wonderful painting with rich colors that beautifully complement those of the goldfinch.

Dianne Lorden said...

It's such a cheerful, pretty painting! I go up to Oak Hill to see these little wild canaries among the Canada thistle, which grows in profusion there. Your pairing with sunflowers makes a pleasing balance - can't get enough of goldfinches. Beautiful job!

Linda said...

Lovely picture! Great color, nice subject.

Unknown said...

Very nice Deb.

Deborah Nell said...

I'm drawn to this painting. It is so cheery and full of color. Wonderful job.

Debra Kreiger said...

Thanks everyone. I really like painting birds!

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

Love this, Deb! The wonderful golden yellows make me think of summer and sunlight...just what I needed on this dreary grey day.Your goldfinch is so charming, and the little seed in his beak is a pefect touch.

Bertie Brown said...

great composition! a good balance between 2 prima donnas..love that sunflower!

Julie Riker said...

Great painting Deb! You do such a wonderful job painting birds.

Deb Watson said...

Beautiful! I like the soft flowers in the background and very dark at the bottom.