Friday, September 23, 2011

Mr. and Mrs. Mallard by Dianne Lorden

This pair of ducks - which I photographed at Boiling Spring, Pa., last May - is finished. They were floating together, but not as close as in my pastel. In moving them in, I took both their reflections along, of course, but realize the water may have appeared differently had the ducks actually been this close together. So, I used my imagination around the edges of the reflections, trying to "knit" together a believable surface. Funny the tricky things that don't occur to you until your into the process!
I think this will be the piece I hang that the Adams County Arts Council's grand opening celebration of the new building (Washington Street, Gettysburg) planned for next month.
View my artwork at South Mountain Sketchbook.

7 comments:

Kathy Michels said...

They are darling - I love it! You did a wonderful job tying it all in together. If you hadn't mentioned it I never would have know. I love the beautiful reflections.

Unknown said...

Cute couple! The detail on the feathers is really good especially on the female.

Julie Riker said...

Reflections are constantly changing, so they are a great way to play with shapes and edges to improve the composition. You have done a wonderful job here!

Unknown said...

Very nice Dianne; you'd give G. Putt a run for his money on this one! (If you know who I mean)

Dianne Lorden said...

Thanks, all! I really appreciate the input.

Christine Marx said...

This is so sweet. What a beautiful piece!

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

This is so charming - I LOVE it!