Wednesday, September 7, 2011

"Cousins" Oil painting by Charlotte Yealey

12x16
Oil on gessoed board
My reference photo for this painting was one I took back in 1985 during a family picnic at my sister's home near Glenville. My daughter, Danielle with her older cousin Steve and her younger cousin, Bess. The wooded lot that their house sits on is surrounded by beautiful country farmland. This photo has been on my "have to paint" list for a long time and I am glad I finally took the time to paint it.

7 comments:

blah said...

This is a beautiful painting! Love the dark in the foreground, wonderfully rendered trees contrasting with the view in the background! What a gorgeous spot! A really nice piece of artwork! The branches are are so good! The children and the action going on there are the icing on the cake! Such a great piece!

Unknown said...

Thank you, Michael! For years I worked primarily in oils, but I felt the need to do other mediums. I still love oil painting and on this one it felt so right to get the effect I wanted.

Autumn Leaves said...

Absolutely gorgeous foreground and exquisite composition. An all around beautiful piece!

Bertie Brown said...

I love this and agree with Michael..the dark foreground is a great lead in!

Deborah Nell said...

Can't wait to see this one in person. This is so rich. The cousins are the focus but they are framed beautifully with the trees and grass around them.

Unknown said...

Thanks Autumn, Bertie and Deborah. I really appreciate you kind comments!

Maria Kovalenko Leysens said...

I agree with the rest. Love the way this leads me back and the wonderful feeling overall.