Friday, January 21, 2011

Winter Plein Air Painting - Julie Riker

Well, I finally did it!  I have been telling everyone that I was going to get out there and do some winter plein air painting, but always something comes up or I chicken out with the cold weather.  This morning I woke up to bright sunshine and long purple cast shadows and I knew I had to go out.  After reading Mary Beth's link about "disconnecting" I grabbed what I needed and went out on what was maybe the coldest day so far this year.  I have been reading Stapleton Kearn's blog http://stapletonkearns.blogspot.com/ and his witty discussions about what to wear when painting in the snow so I had some idea of how to dress.  I wasn't about to sink $200 into the super insulated boots he recommended, but I did have the chemical heat packs which help quite a bit.  I had many many layers and was quite comfortable painting...the only thing that got really cold were my right hand fingertips, even with my warmest gloves.  I ended up switching hands several times and painting left handed to warm up the right hand in my pocket.  I was only able to spend an hour on the 6x8 plein air sketch.


 6x8
plein air oil sketch

Home, a hot shower, and a cup of tea...I was still thinking about the scene I had painted, so I went to work on a larger version in the comfort of my studio.  I spent about 2 hours on the larger one.



Snowy Creek
11x14 oil

I am very happy with the day's work.  I have been missing that connection with nature that you can only get from direct observation, not from photographs.   Winter painting is not that bad.  You just have to be prepared and maybe paint in shorter sessions.

..and maybe I'll think again about those boots. 


If you would like to see more of my work please visit my website http://www.julieriker.com/


13 comments:

mmontes said...

Beautiful Julie, and you captured this scene so well both times. Your a braver soul than I am!

Ron Donoughe said...

Wasn't that a great article about disconnecting? It sums up so many issues we struggle with as artists. You should feel proud about going out today. The light was good and it looks like you got a lot done in that amount of time. Nice job! I'll bet you go out with more frequency? And really, two hours is plenty to get something. After that the light has changed too much. My finger tips always get frozen. Best to stop painting, pull them into the hand warmer and evaluate the painting until the feeling returns :)

Tatiana said...

Lovely, Julie!
I like both - your initial "sketch" and this bigger painting. Well done!

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

Julie, kudos to you for getting out there and braving the cold. You've got two great paintings here, and should feel a sense of accomplishment for what you have achieved today.
A true plein air painter!!!!!!!!

Julie Riker said...

Thanks everyone!! It was a good feeling to accomplish something here and get beyond my recent painting frustration. Tomorrow's temps are supposed to be in the teens so I think I'll stay inside :)

Autumn Leaves said...

Just...wow! I love these paintings and so love winter landscape scenes. Beautiful!

Cecelia Lyden said...

Julie, I think I detect a distinct "shivering" movement in your first painting. It definitly suits the site and weather conditions--such a great job, as always with both the paintings and congrats on ignoring the temperature and acting on your desire to plein air paint in the wintertime.

Amy Lindenberger said...

Wonderful post, Julie! I really enjoyed hearing about your experience. You may be more of a trooper than I'll ever be, given that I'm not a died-in-the-wool plein air painter, it's just something I'm challenging myself with on the side. But I do admire your commitment! And lovely results, besides.

Sunny said...

Beautiful! This is the Pennsylvania I remember!

Maria Kovalenko Leysens said...

What fun and wonder what would happen with watercolors.... I am not so brave.

Julie Riker said...

Thanks all! Maria, I don't know if watercolors would freeze? Maybe you could use warm water and keep it in an old thermos?

Unknown said...

Beautiful, Julie! You really captured the mood.

Jennifer VonStein said...

Brave girl!!!! As much as I love plein air, I will only do winter painting in my car! You have captured the brisk cold, and maybe I will be brave like you