Saturday, September 18, 2010

WEST FAIRVIEW VISTA By Cecelia Lyden

acrylic on board
8x10
There were many scenic views to paint at the boat launch in West Fairview this past Thursday. I decided to paint a "peek-a-boo" vignette of the River. The trees framed the area I wanted to paint--a bit of an old- fashioned look, but it kept me honed in on that part of the river.
Thursday was overcast and remained that way all morning. I expected the grayish sky color to be reflected in the River and it was surprising to me that there were so many glints of blue in the water. Surprises like that are a plein air positive- observing and painting up close. The negative surprise that morning was that it never warmed up and was very breezy and very, very chilly.

3 comments:

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

Cecelia - this is positively luminescent, and absolutely beautiful.

Pat Koscienski said...

Cecelia, I have painted this scene myself, but never finished it. Yours is simply stunning.

Patrica Kline said...

The atmosphere is wonderful.