Thursday, September 9, 2010

Finished the Green Apples today - Mark H Brown

I finished the Green Apples today, which will be shown next to the plums painting. I don't often paint greens and cyans in the still life, so I enjoyed playing with those mixtures. The leaves were from an apple tree in the neighborhood. My wife brought them back from a morning walk with Luke and the baby. They were the perfect balancing elements for the three apples.

available
Green Apples in a Glass
16 x 16
oil on canvas


After a load of dishes I looked out the kitchen window and saw that the sky was looking promising for an evening plein air painting. I grabbed my pallet, paint bag and zoomed down the road to one of my favorite secluded spots. It was so quiet. I love the peaceful cool evenings!


oil on canvas
9 x 9

8 comments:

Unknown said...

If this was the sky tonight, Sept 9, it wasn't as beautiful here in Carlisle as you have painted yours. The colors of the clouds here were tipped in gold and lowlighted in grays and dark blues. You got the best of the night sky today! Thanks for sharing it.

Ron Donoughe said...

I painted three different sunsets this evening and so I can relate to your comments. It was an unusually fantastic sky.

Autumn Leaves said...

The apples are exquisite perfection, Mark. And that is one gorgeous landscape!

Susan Roux said...

Lovely apples and cool composition. Your sunset is lovely too.

Bertie Brown said...

That is a beautifully alive sunset, Mark.....

Unknown said...

Wow! Two beautiful paintings at once. The green apples just blew me away then the sunset appeared and I was totally amazed.

Julie Riker said...

I love both of these paintings. The leaves are the perfect balance to the apples. I especially like that reflection on the left one. And I love your plein air work. The two paintings together really show the range of your skills.

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

Exceptional work in both of these, Mark.