Thursday, August 19, 2010

Pear - Mark H Brown

Thursday evening we went pear picking.  After returning home to unpack our container one pear caught my eye.  I loved it's natural composition with the leaves thrust to one side.  I decided to paint it yesterday, using an antique wooden box and a strong complementary bounce light.  I was in the mood to paint as tightly as I could, and enjoyed the nuances very much.  The soft leaves, glistening highlights on the stem, warm red shadow side and the rough wood all excited my senses.  Every now and then I keep a painting that I've created.  This might be one that I consider.

"Fresh Picked"
10 x 8
Oil on canvas

6 comments:

Cecelia Lyden said...

This painting literally "stopped me in my tracks". I was on my way out and decided to peek in on DPP-saw this beautiful pear--reminded me of the great 18th century French and American realist painters, Chardin and Raphaelle Peale--what an unassuming title for this classic beauty.

Debra Kreiger said...

Wonderful painting Mark. Such attention to detail!

Thom Glace said...

Beautiful- I especially like the water drops and the stem!

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

This is so classically beautiful - just a magnificent painting, Mark.

Autumn Leaves said...

Such a gorgeous pear, deserving of center stage.

Unknown said...

Amazing! Simple subject made a great painting.