Thursday, July 15, 2010

RIDE ON THE LONG ISLAND FERRY By Cecelia Lyden

acrylic on canvas
24x30
cecelialyden.com
Several years ago this painting was accepted into the Pennslyvania Art of the State juried exhibition. There were 1000 submissions then. I read in The Patriot that this year there were 2000 entries. Much more competition now.
I felt when I submitted it that it might be accepted. The judge was from the New York City area and I thought he would feel a kinship to the location and relate more to the way I handled and placed the figures. At the time I was a big fan of David Hockney and his aloof figures. None of my figures are reacting to each other at the moment I took the photo. I also liked painting in a less painterly way, contrasting softly molded figures with flat surfaces like that green carpet. There are many strong contrasts in this painting-natural shapes vs manmade, complementary colors[ that strong green and red chairs ], horizontal and diagonal directions.
I loved painting this scene, but I'll never forget my daughter's reaction to it. She said it's really nice Mom, but " why did you have to put that big fat man in it?"
So there it is. The reason it still sits in my closet.

6 comments:

Ron Donoughe said...

It is a really good painting Cecelia. I immediately thought of Hockney! And the sad truth is a lot of good work is never purchased. I think you should hold on to it anyway. Maybe your daughter will want it someday? Ironically, I was also in one of those exhibitions you mentioned and I still have my painting as well.

Pat Koscienski said...

Cecelia, this is a wonderful painting. This style sells very well in our area, just ask Fritz.

Dianne Lorden said...

It's amazing. It looks like a really trendy magazine cover to me - that was my immediate reaction. I just love the style of it!

Ron Donoughe said...

The placement of the figures is just right. I especially like the guy with the belly!

Cecelia Lyden said...

Thank you all. The photo I took had more people in it. I weeded some of them out and placed the remainder in a way to lead the eye through the painting. Again, thank you. I've been encouraged to include this painting in my art show this August.

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

Cecelia - you are such an accomplished artist! I really love the compositon and dynamics of this piece.