Monday, March 26, 2012

Last Days of Steel, 50 x 68, Ron Donoughe

This is the last painting I'm doing for the Johnstown exhibition. I titled it, Last Days of Steel because it was painted from rare film footage shot in the mill before it closed. It was a complete happenstance that I met Greg from The Magic Lantern. His small multimedia company is located about 200 feet from my studio. It was there I sat down with an editor and selected the frames that would be my source. The original painting is 4 x 6 feet, oil on linen. I'm having limited edition prints made for the Johnstown exhibition. I also set up a business page on Facebook. Check it out. I'm posting some process oriented photos on it.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ron-Donoughe/246041748821953

6 comments:

Dianne Lorden said...

Boy, this really captures the excitment of the moment. You're so good at painting light and its effects. Great composition and very interesting story of how you came upon the images.

Christine Marx said...

Explosive! I love it Ron.

Unknown said...

Wow! What an impact; this is an award winner if I ever saw one!

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

This is so full of energy - I love the heat from the molten steel! Fantastic painting!

Mary Beth Brath said...

Awesome painting in this post and your facebook page is fascinating. I really enjoyed looking at the photos of you plein air painting.

Taryn Day said...

Love this. The distant blue goes so well with the hot yellow and orange sparks, and yet seems somehow ominous, moody. Was this fun to paint?