Sunday, September 11, 2011

"Island Vacation" by Taryn Day

oil on panel
6"x6"

This is my brother Daniel relaxing on Peaks Island, Maine, far removed from his life in L.A.  For a subtitle, I could add "Waiting for a Lobster Dinner", which is what he's really doing.
I'm beginning to get more comfortable working from photographs, which sure expands my options for interesting subject matter.  Also, I'm using the free photo editing software Gimp to help my paintings translate better to the computer screen.  It never looks as rich as the original painting, but this is a big improvement.  Thanks to my son Will for teaching me how to use Gimp!
To see more of my work visit:
My Daily Paintworks Gallery
Awake and Painting Blog
Taryn Day Fine Art

5 comments:

Susan Roux said...

Aaahhh, Peaks Island and lobster. Who could ask for more???

Cecelia Lyden said...

I'm going to google Gimp--see if it is an improvement over my Microsoft Digital Imaging--Your brother looks relaxed and patient.

Dianne Lorden said...

The style here is so great; I really like the treatment.

Unknown said...

I love how this painting looks so natural!

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

Each brushstroke is thoughtful, and creates such a wonderful portrait of your brother!