Tuesday, November 16, 2010

"The Tarn at Kirkridge" by Dianne Lorden

Taking a pastel class with Laurie McKelvie has been just great. This is from last week's workshop, where she shared techniques for reflections in water. I never got to the foreground during class, so it took a session at the drawing table to add the canoe and water's-edge area, plus a bit of the lake on the right. The painting is from one of many photos I've taken of this beautiful, spirit-filled location. Kirkridge is a retreat in the Pocono Mountains and the tarn is what they call this pond. (I think it might be a Scottish word?)
My plan is to display this pastel during the Adams County Arts Council's December First Friday (18 Carlisle St., Suite 201, Gettysburg) and then post it to my website if it does not sell that night.
My artwork can be viewed at South Mountain Sketchbook: www.southmountainsketchbook.webs.com

2 comments:

Kathy Michels said...

Oh this is sooo pretty. You did an amazing job reflecting those colors into the pond. The colors in this piece are beautiful.

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

I love the whole soft, mystical feel of this place, Dianne. It would be somewhere I would like to be.