Thursday, October 7, 2010

Plums in my favorite bowl - Mark H. Brown

Today I decided to enjoy the frosty blue haze of plums, the rich deep reds that glow in the darker blues and the burnt oranges of the flesh of a ripe plum.  My favorite bowl, with its gold rimmed edge and wonderful swirl pattern, created the movement I desired. 

The knife balanced the three plums and helped anchor the square composition.  I couldn't resist the water droplets on the fruit and table.  I think I would cover the entire surface with droplets if not for my better judgement taking hold.  Often my better judgement is my wifes helpful critiques telling me to stop!  I have the same temptation when it comes to highlights on glass.  What pure, exhilarating joy to place those dots of pure white. 

I've also been having fun with the use of the square format; a more contemporary feel I think.  This joins the peaches, plums and green apples in the series of fruit with a lighter background.  This one was a real success and I'm well pleased.




plums in a bowl
15 x 15
oil on canvas
available

6 comments:

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

This is so luxurious...and just downright stunning.

Mary Beth Brath said...

Gorgeous piece Mark. I also enjoyed reading your post.

Joe Kluck said...

Freakin gorgeous Mark.

Tatiana said...

Simply super, Mark!

Cecelia Lyden said...

Well-pleased you should be--amazing painting.

Deborah Nell said...

Exquisite! Your works are amazing.