Thursday, September 23, 2010

Sunlit Courtyard by Julie Riker

11x14
oil on canvas
This was painted at King's Gap State Park. There is a lovely ivy covered mansion there which was once a private summer home, but is now used for educational seminars and retreats. I love the contrast between the dark ivy and the pinkish stone walls.
I will be exhibiting this painting with the Susquehanna Valley Plein Air Painters at King's Gap on October 3rd during the park's Garden Harvest Festival. I will also be painting on site during the event, along with several other painters from the group.
If you would like to see more of my work please visit my website http://www.julieriker.com/

3 comments:

Pat Koscienski said...

Beautiful composition, Julie. Your colors are great!

Mary Beth Brath said...

Love your play of shadows on the concrete.

Cecelia Lyden said...

The framing of the window with the dark foliage contrasted with the colorful stonework brings your eye right into the composition and the "ivy" on the walls begins a circling around to the rest of the painting. I like the shadowing on the walk as well.