Saturday, August 21, 2010

WASHDAY ON GEARY AVENUE By Cecelia Lyden

acrylic on stretched canvas
11x14


It's so rare that you see wash hanging on a line to dry. For me this scene brought back memories of my childhood. We had a washing machine, but no dryer. There were four families, all related, living in the apartment house my grandfather built. There was one telephone pole and four clotheslines, on pulleys, hooked up to it. Hanging out the wash in the wintertime was a challenge. Pulling it back in was hysterical. Every article of clothing --stiff as boards.

I will be exhibiting this in the New Cumberland Art exhibit at the Third Street Gallery in November.

6 comments:

Dianne Lorden said...

Cecelia, I love both the painting and your notes. Nothing like a washline for memories and a terrific subject. It always befuddled me how those frozen clothes would thaw out dry as a bone! Your painting brings to mind my mom's line, too. Cleanest smell on earth, line-dried clothes.

Autumn Leaves said...

I can almost smell that fresh laundry!

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

Laundry hanging on a clothesline is one of my favorite things to see in a painting, and I suppose it is because it does bring back so many wonderful memories - including that incredible fresh smell.
You did this so beautifully, and I love all the points of interest in the painting that support the actual laundry. One of my favorites, for sure!

Mary Beth Brath said...

I love your paintings of everyday life. You have taken a simple scene and turned it into a lovely painting.

Debra Kreiger said...

Very nice Cecelia. This is another area of New Cumberland where I grew Up. We had a clothes line. Brings back memories. The depth of the painting is terrific. Wonderful.

Unknown said...

This is a lovely nostalgic painting. My mother still hangs some of her clothing on the line and I remember hers being frozen still too!