Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Glendevy Lodge 1982, by Linda Young

Crystal Meadows Ranch circa 1970
Watercolor by Linda Young
12" x 20-1/4"

This painting is done from my time at Crystal Meadows Ranch in Somerset, Colorado where I lived in the 1980’s. The following is a verbal picture for the thoughts behind the creation of this painting.

"Located at the base of the McClure Pass and the Paonia Dam, the “ranch” had several cabins, a small grocery store and gas pump, a large meadow and a stream called the North Fork of the Gunnison River. It was also along the dirt road that led to the Kebler Pass which if traveled in the summer would take you to Crested Butte; in the winter, it was totally closed.


It was a great place to go fishing for native browns and see beaver actively working their dams. I learned to fly fish here and loved to sneak upon an inviting ripple or an overhanging branch to challenge a cutthroat or brown. Deer and elk were daily visitors and brought their babies with them to feed in the tender grass of the meadows. There coyote could be heard at night howling and calling to each other feasting on the scent of a fresh kill. On the rocky hill above the ranch herds of elk could be seen bedding down and at night, if you took a spot light and shined it there, their numerous golden eyes glowed in the dark.

Crystal Meadows was adjacent to the Medicine Bow National Forest. There were several narrow rickety wooden bridges used to get from one place to another on the single lane dirt road. I rode my horse across the bridges and were sometimes a challenge but with persistence and patience with the horse I'd get across quickly. If anyone has ever traveled into the back country of the wilderness areas in Colorado, you know how treacherous those mountain roads can be.

I don't know if this place is still open; it was sold several times and I haven't found any recent information on it. If you ever get a chance, visit this part of Colorado; it's absolutelyl God's Country." Linda Young

(Editor's note:  This painting and blog was originally titled Crystal Meadows Ranch; however, through research of old letters written to my Mother, I discovered I misnamed this Ranch painting.  It is correctly called The Glendevy Lodge and is no longer open to the public and is owned privately.  Too bad though, it would be a great place to take a vacation during the summer months if it were otherwise. ..and as memories go, some memories fade and others are improved upon.  This painting has more than one "place" in it; it is a collection of many years in different places I lived.  The story written about it, may be called fiction)


Please sign up for my newsletter here
Linda Young Watercolors

8 comments:

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

This is stunning, Linda, and I love the information you wrote about the piece. Makes me want to find this magical place!

L. O'Neal said...

Sounds like and looks like something right out of a classic novel. It's the life we ought not let go. Beautiful depiction.

Autumn Leaves said...

Linda, this is an absolutely breathtaking painting. I caught my breath and released a sigh of pure joy looking at the piece. I love your memories of the place and hope that it remains intact.

Mary Beth Brath said...

Exceptional post Linda. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Dianne Lorden said...

Wow, this is really wonderful. It may sound trite to say this, but it would certainly make a gorgeous holiday card.

Debra Kreiger said...

This looks like a awesome place. Really beautiful painting. Hope to visit that part of the country some day.

Unknown said...

Thank you all so much; I think you solved my holiday card dilema for this year, Dianne; that just might be the one! Painting this scene was nostalgic for me; a lot of good friends and good times.

Bertie Brown said...

Stunning and painted with great restraint, Linda!