Saturday, March 27, 2010

Rock Garden Alpines by Jill Foster

20" x 16" pastel on prepared art board

The alpine plants are usually used in rock gardens. This particular variety has been enlarged for the painting. The blooms are actually quite small. I found these greenhouse plants at Tait Farm, a local sustainable agriculture business in State College, PA. This was shown with a collection of paintings for the Farmland Preservation Artists show at Foxdale Village earlier this year.
All of my paintings are for sale. Contact me at: fosterfineart@verizon.net for prices/questions.

6 comments:

Dianne Lorden said...

I really like the texture in the tiny leaves; I think I'm familiar with this plant. I also kinda like the way the blue wall isn't really background, but very much an active part of the composition. Striking!

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

These flowers almost look like they belong to the coreopsis family, except for the greenery. This is a very attractive pastel painting - I love the blue behind the flowers.

Autumn Leaves said...

What a gorgeous plant! I am going to have to look them up as I can't quite picture their actual size! LOL Such a lovely painting and composition, Jill!

Mary Beth Brath said...

Unique composition and very pleasing colors.

Bertie Brown said...

I like the green foliage, nice texture and a good support for those demure flowers!

Pat Koscienski said...

Beautiful painting, Jill. I appreciated it even more after I enlarged it. Really well done.