Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Immaculate Heart of Mary, 9 x 12 study used to create a 47 x 70 oil on linen by Ron Donoughe



Edward Hopper was once quoted as saying, "If I could say it with words there would be no reason to paint it." Well, that's true, but it is still nice to share the process and what inspires us as artists. Here is the latest effort on my easel and why...

Sometimes I just have to see something from a certain place at exactly the right time to know it is worthy of a large painting. The idea of doing a large painting of Immaculate Heart of Mary church on nearby Polish Hill has been in gestation for several years. A few weeks ago I saw the church from the strip district at about 5:30 pm on my way to downtown. The warm, sweet light bathed the entire winter scene. The planes that faced the light created angles that point upward towards the domes and heaven above. (Hey, it is a spiritual painting :) The church towers over the neighboring houses in a really dramatic way–especially from the strip perspective. I could see it as a completed painting in my mind's eye. First, I took a picture. Then I returned the next day to the exact location, again at the same time of day, and did the small oil study, 9" x 12" above. The source photo, which can be seen taped to the canvas, was used to make the grid. This is where it is now, a 47" x 70 ", oil on linen, somewhat blocked in with oil washes. I'm just trying to get the light and shadow shapes placed correctly.
I'll post again when more progress is made.

Here is the wikipedia link to the church:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immaculate_Heart_of_Mary_in_Pittsburgh

7 comments:

Unknown said...

This is well on the way to becoming a treasure. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress. Nice composition.

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

I can only imagine how phenomenal this looks at actual size, Ron. It's already got presence, and I can't wait to see the progress.

Jack said...

Looks awesome.

Bertie Brown said...

Thanks for letting me peek at your process....That is a big undertaking...and a great start...very rhythmic.......

Tatiana said...

Wonderful work, Ron!
Lokking forward to see the progress on it!

Pat Koscienski said...

What an undertaking. Thanks for sharing the journey.

Thom Glace said...

Thank you for showing us how you worked on this beautiful painting.