Sunday, January 3, 2010

"Blue Shell" by Debra Tritt-Kreiger

"Blue Shell" 6"x9" Watercolor
This is one of a few paintings I've been experimenting with using 140lb Arches rough paper. I found this to be a fun process. No two paintings have turned out alike, so far. It all started when I found a box of shells that were collected over the years by my grandparents. And I took a lot of beach pictures to use as reference. I put them together and it's been magic!

To purchase please contact me at debra@debkreiger.com
To see more of my work go to www.debkreiger.com

9 comments:

Tatiana said...

WOW, Debra! No other comments. :-)

Unknown said...

Great, realistic painting.

Debra Kreiger said...

Thank You Tatiana and Linda. I'm still dreaming of warmer weather.

Thom Glace said...

I do have questions
- rough or smooth arches 140lb?
- Transparent watercolor?

Now- about the painting- I love it! As someone who paints nature a lot, I love your ability to make the background so realistic, yet does not overpower the painting.

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

Okay, did you hear my {gasp} as your picture showed up? One of my absolute favorite things to do is to walk along the beach and collect sea shells. This is so beautiful - I feel as though I could just reach into your painting and pick up a shell. As Tatiana so aptly wrote...WOW.

Pat Koscienski said...

Another, WOW. I love your rendering of the sand...I feel like I could run my fingers through it... so realistic.

Maria Kovalenko Leysens said...

Yup, one more wow to add! This is lovely, so realistic. I had to do a double take to see if it was a photo.

Mary Beth Brath said...

Deb -
When you had a couple of shell paintings in your featured artist show at Gallerie 13, a client was interested in buying note cards of your shells. By the way...that exhibit was first class and very well received by the public.
Congratulations!!

Debra Kreiger said...

Thom, the paper I used is Arches 140lb rough paper in a block. My palette is made up with mostly transparent watercolors. This makes it so nice to layer. It took a lot of delicate glazing and spattering to get the sand effect and the rough paper just worked great.

Thanks Thom, Claire, Pat, Maria and Mary Beth.