Sunday, January 3, 2010

'Study of a Golden Rainbow Trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss)' by Thom Glace





'Study of a Golden Rainbow Trout'
Transparent Watercolor. Image Size: 9" x 4 1/2". Matted Size: 14" x 11".
Painting Surface: Museum Quality Crescent Mat Board

Note: This is a non-professional photo. The original is much more golden in color. It will show in my Giclee Prints when they are professional Photographed.

I had to add a photograph of a live Golden Trout, to show that I did not make this up. A golden Rainbow trout comes from a single mutated female trout in West Virginia, and was bred to create a new sub-species. It is now a stocked trout in West Virginia and PA. In PA there is a similar trout that has come from the Rainbow Trout and Golden Rainbow interbreeding- the Palomino Trout. It is a paler gold than the original. I have never caught one, but let's hope anyone who does, is a Catch & Release fisherman like I am. It is too beautiful to disappear from our streams.

Thom Glace Watercolors

www.thomglacewatercolors.com
thomglace@comcast.net

6 comments:

Debra Kreiger said...

Wow Thom! What a beautiful fish. I love your post. You are very knowledgeable about your subjects, and I enjoy learning and seeing your great paintings.

Tatiana said...

Interesting study, Thom!
You are the second person on my list of "I love all about fish" painters. The first one works in Oil Pastels and he is just as good with it, as you with your watercolors. His name is Ed Brothers and he, if I remember correct, has a painting that looks almost like this your reference - guy holds one big trout. Mmmm.. Tasty! :-)

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

My father-in-law used to be a Waterways Patrolman for the PA Fish Commission, and I got to see the palomino trout alot when they were stocking. I always wished that people would catch and release, as you suggest - they were much too pretty to cook up!
I have to say again how much I enjoy seeing your nature paintings. They are fantastic.

Pat Koscienski said...

I,also, enjoy the description of your subjects that you paint. Not only do I get to enjoy great art, but also, get to learn something.

Mary Beth Brath said...

My entire family enjoys your posts Thom. Thank you so much for your genre and what it brings to our site. My son was bugging us on Jan 1st to get our fishing licenses.

Just before the opening day of trout season last year, our plein air group was painting along yellow breaches just outside of Boiling Springs PA. Ralph Hocker pointed out several large trout including Palominos?

Happy New Year - MB

Maria Kovalenko Leysens said...

It has been great to follow your posts. Learning what you have to share and enjoying your art. Thanks.