Wednesday, August 5, 2015

"RED TAILED HAWK (JUVENILE) An Original Pastel Painting by Clare Klaum



I was honored that my Painting of the "Red Tailed Hawk (Juvenile)" was juried into the Keystone National Works on Paper.  The opening reception is September 11 from 6pm to 8pm at the Art Center School & Galleries in Mechanicsburg.  The exhibit will run from September 11 till October 2.  This beautiful juvenile Red Tailed Hawk spent about 3 weeks around our yard last August.  I took about 100 photos of her.  She seemed quite comfortable with me getting very close to photograph her.  I knew she was a juvenile because Red Tailed Hawks do not acquire their red tails until their 2nd summer.  So she was born that Spring. I thought it quite possible that it was a female, because females are larger than males and she was very large. She did take out quite a few of our squirrels, chipmunks and a few birds.  Observing that was awesome and awful at the same time.  But so goes the cycle of life.  I named her Mariah because she came and went like the wind!  In this painting she was perched in our Dogwood tree just hanging out.  My husband and I spend a lot of time feeding and observing our backyard birds. It's become one of our favorite past times now that we are retired. 

                    To see more of my work please visit my website
                                  www.clareklaumfineart.com

7 comments:

Cecelia Lyden said...

Great composition and rendering.

Clare Klaum said...

Thank you Cecelia.

Mary Beth Brath said...

Excellent work Clare. Congratulations on the acceptance into the Keystone National Exhibit. This was not an easy feat.

Clare Klaum said...

Thank you so much Mary Beth.

Clare Klaum said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

ALL the BEST to YOU!

Tatiana said...

Like the facial expression on a bird... Much of character! Congratulations on Your show acceptance!...