Wednesday, September 17, 2014

THE STONE STABLE AND OLD SYCAMORE AT FT. HUNTER By Cecelia Lyden


oil/canvas
11x14
www.cecelialyden.com

I arrived a little late on Sunday for the Gallery Walk at Fort Hunter. I walked around for a while, looking for something inspiring to paint. I finally settled for this building, a stable. It had an OK shadow, a semi cheery color, an interesting roofline and a nice little tree in the crux of the two sections of the building. Not that enthused with my choice of subject matter, I "putzed" around, setting up, when suddenly I noticed this huge sycamore[, behind the building, almost completely hidden by dense foliage. I was suddenly motivated and began to work out the composition. I have since learned that book, Penn's Woods" estimates its age as 300 years old, one of the oldest in PA. The old sycamore "saved the day" for me.

1 comment:

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

Hi Cecelia...
I really love this tree..It is strong and painted with skill and feeling!