Friday, June 21, 2013

GOOSE GATHERING By Cecelia Lyden

oil/stretched canvas
8x10
The promise of perfect weather in the forecast led to an impromptu paint out at the New Cumberland town park. Six of us showed up, all happy to be able to paint outdoors in mild weather, with no wind and  no bugs. There was bright sunshine, deep shadows, water falling over the dam and a variety of greens in the trees and grass.. A couple of men were fishing and a flock of geese were busying themselves with breakfast. I chose to paint the geese and the lush greenery.  I took some pictures of the geese and sat down to paint the area. I was going to paint the geese, who were deeply engrossed in feeding themselves, later. After an hour or so,  I looked back up to start the geese and ALL of them  were gone-"Where'd the geese go?" I yelled. A mother came over and apologized; her children had shooed them away-never heard or saw the exodus. Luckily, I had taken some photos and was able to include the goose gathering in the painting

2 comments:

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

What details in such a small work...LOVELY!

Cecelia Lyden said...

Thank you, Sue-It was a challenge, and I was wishing I had brought a larger canvas with me--I love the "adorable" postures of the geese-I may go back to capture their poses again, only with a larger canvas.