Monday, April 30, 2012

YOU MUST BE ONE OF THEM CITY FELLERS By Cecelia Lyden

oil/canvasboard
6x8

As a claims adjuster, several years ago, my husband travelled to Perry County to handle a farmer's claim. Just as he stepped inside the barn to interview the man, a barn owl swooped down at him. He jumped a mile. Chuckling, the farmer said to him--"You, must be one of them city fellers." 
 I recalled that amusing incident after a paintout to Adam's Cattle Ranch, 65,000 acres of grazing lands and forests, in Florida. The cautions of the day included a reminder that we would be in the wilds--to beware of "red ants, snakes and alligators [really big ones]". I arrived, got some brief instructions and a map. I was allowed to drive around, but had to stay on the dirt road and not go beyond any closed gates[ no chance of that]. I headed off alone on a rutted path toward what looked like Jurassic Park.

I drove around carefully and finally stopped near a pasture, where beautiful red-brown cattle were grazing. I checked the area carefully, looking for snakes, red ants, and alligators.I stayed very close to the car, did not use my French easel-difficult to pack up when you are trying to escape from alligators. At one point I ventured a bit from the parked car to take some photos. When I looked up, a small band of cattle was in front  and heading towards me. I scurried back to the car, slightly frightened, but was able to quickly get a picture of them just as they turned to move in a different direction.

There were some artists who stopped to chat that morning on their way to find a paintsite. Luckily, one of them pointed out a red ant hill near my car--never noticed it.
There were no sightings of snakes or alligators. I discovered, later, that the weather was too cold and overcast--snakes and alligators don't appear when the weather is too cold and overcast, and that small band of cattle was probably more frightened of me than the other way around.
I will return to paint at Adam's Cattle Ranch next winter, acknowledging that when it comes to painting in the "wilds", I am definitely "one of them city fellers".




6 comments:

Julie Riker said...

I have heard this story from your paintout at the ranch, but it is nice to see the photos and your lovely painting from the day. It is so great that you have friends to paint with during the winter half of the year, and that you can share those stories with us PA plein air painters. Our complaints about bugs and falling acorns seem trivial in comparison.

Larry Lerew said...

I love to hear you tell this fun story. I can imagine you next year standing there with a whip, chair and gun tamming the "Wilds of Florida" as you paint. You came out of what looked like Jurassic Park with a great painting although it tested your nerves of steel. Now that's what I call a painting adventure! Thanks for sharing.

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

What a terrific story to go along with your great painting, Cecelia. Painting outside is always an adventure, but I can't imagine having to keep a watch out for gators!

Taryn Day said...

Cecelia, you were far braver than I would be- I would be on the roof of my car. Lovely photos and great painting- love the color of the cattle.

Maria Kovalenko Leysens said...

Thanks for sharing this one!

Cecelia Lyden said...

You're welcomed, Maria--I had fun recalling and relating this experience.