Sunday, April 25, 2010

"Old Yeller Barn" - pastel, 9" x 12" by Dianne Lorden


Just completed and one of a few I'm considering for the annual Barn Art Show (Adams County), this delight along Taneytown Road amazed me; you can see it had once been painted yellow!

I've just never seen a yellow barn, although perhaps they aren't as rare as I'm imagining. At any rate, I did give the pastel painting more yellow shading than actually remains on the barn. I'm not sure how that happened, but I probably took a few years off the weathering!


To view my artwork, visit my fine arts website South Mountain Sketchbook at: www.southmountainsketchbook.webs.com

8 comments:

Martha Horman said...

I LOVE barns and I raised in the city so I can't understand why. It's just that for some reason, they speak to me. As for your yellow barn, in a word, Superb. BTW, I once saw a yellow barn in eastern Washington so there are others out there.

Mary Beth Brath said...

Awesome painting Dianne. Full of character.

Cecelia Lyden said...

It's amazing the allure that barns have for artists--I have painted several and have 2 recent shots of barns in upper New York that I am about to start--their simple geometric shapes, their warm colors and the mystic of times past--Your barn is all of that plus it is very charming.

Autumn Leaves said...

Dianne, I think this is one of my favorite barn paintings ever. We have a yellow barn not too far from us out here in IL and I remember thinking when I first saw it that I'd never seen a yellow barn either. I don't think they are too common! LOL I just find this one so breathtaking!

Maria Kovalenko Leysens said...

Charming is a good word. Nice colors. I identify with this barn... nicely done.

Dianne Lorden said...

Thanks, all -- good to know I'm not the only one to be so intriqued by a yellow barn, of all things. And I'm also glad to know there are others out there -- both other yellow barns and other appreciators of same! :)

Bertie Brown said...

looks like it should be surrounded by SUNFLOWERS................!

Ron Donoughe said...

Count me in as a barn lover also. Unfortunately many are falling into the soil. This one is lucky for you have recorded it for the ages. We used to play in my grandfathers barn and this reminded me of it. Nice job.