Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Lebanon Lutheran Church by Rodrica Tilley


From my ongoing series: Fifty State Plein Air Painting Project. state #17, A pretty November day in Wytheville, Virginia and a quick painting...husband napping in car. I am always amazed at the number of churches in the rural south...one around every corner...one at the top of every mountain...no abandoned ones, either. They are painted and mowed and obviously loved...yes, I think one can love a building. Church parking lots often make great places to pull the car off the road and set up the easel for a painting.

This 9 x 12 soft pastel on UArt board has grown on me. When I completed it, fingers freezing, I tossed it in the back of the car and announced to my husband, "That didn't work out!", proving once again, I am not always the best judge of my own work...especially during the process. Upon returning to my NE Pennsylvania studio I added a few finishing touches and now it is my favorite little painting. When I see it now, I think it has a real sense of piety and delicate strength. Who knew?


2 comments:

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

I love the loose, airy strokes - it gives it a wonderful atmospheric quality.

Amy Lindenberger said...

Rodrica, I really like this piece! I'm surprised that you initially thought it "didn't work out", but then I know how I sometimes react to my work at first glance, so I guess I can relate. But really, it's got such a nice sense of movement and light -- very appealing.