Thursday, May 11, 2017

AMERICAN KESTREL (FEMALE) An Original Pastel Painting by Clare Klaum


10 1/2 x  13 1/2 on U-Art Sanded Paper

I took photos of this beautiful bird when we were visiting my husband's brother in Daytona Beach in January.  She was at the Marine Science Center in Ponce Inlet. They rescue Birds and Marine Life and rehabilitate them.  This American Kestrel and her mate we raised by a couple from chicks.  They thought they could then release them into the wild, but they would not survive as they would not know how to fen on their own.  That is how they ended up at the rescue center.  I was disappointed that I was not able to get good pictures while they were in their cages and Michele one of the staff offered to take her out of the cage.  She was like the Bird Whisperer and was so wonderful with these rescued birds. I sent her a matted print as a thank you for being so gracious.  This female Kestrel was named Priscilla,  I did need to put her in a more natural setting as she was tethered to Michele's hand in front of her cage. 

To see more of my work, please visit my website
www.clareklaumfineart.com 

1 comment:

Cecelia Lyden said...

AND "THE BEAT GOES ON". ANOTHER EXCELLENT DEPICTION-I EVEN LOVE YOUR SOFT BACKGROUND.