Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Stroll Down the Hill by Nancy Herman


STROLL DOWN THE HILL
Nancy Herman
9" x 12"
oil on canvas board

This is the second painting I did last week while practicing for the Plein Air Festival in Chestnut Hill.  This time I used a sketch that I made after changing the photo in Photoshop so that the shapes were simplified.  I painted it outside in the shade of my Elm tree while looking at my iPad with lots of juicy paint.  This is a very strange method of making a painting but I do enjoy pushing the paint around.

Here is a small blowup of the texture.



Now I have tried two methods of painting.  Neither follow the rules of the competition but at least I have been working outside, testing my set up and getting used to the vagaries of weather and seeing if I can sit in my very small chair for several hours.  Now I have to decide what method of painting to use at the actual competition.  Let me say at the outset that I am against competitions for something as subjective as art.  But now that I am in this contest I must decide whether or not to follow the rules and how to manage the 'painting as a competition' idea philosophically.  Tomorrow - The contest.