Thursday, July 3, 2014

Lisa's Darn Yarn, Maria Kovalenko Leysens



I met Lisa at Darn Yarn, Needles & Threads in Harmony, PA.  Her shop specializes in American made yarn and supplies for knitting, crocheting, spinning... needs. It is a friendly place where Lisa also offers classes, tips and knowledge of the craft and local community. 
I spent some time photographing Lisa and the shop and found I was distracted by the conversation. We easily moved from subject to subject covering family, gardening, uni/bicycles, and ideas for future projects. I felt I made a new friend.
Last time I visited, Lisa showed me a new aluminum spinning wheel that is a work of art in itself. It is so beautifully balanced and so lovely to look at. A new "spin" on an old design. (sorry... pun) 

"Lisa's Darn Yarn" is number two of my "Buy Local, Paint Local" series.
Watercolor 14x14
It will be part of the AABC Invitational Art Exhibit at the Cranberry Township Municipal Building from July 9th - 18th and at the AABC Art Center in Butler from July 23 - August 2nd.

6 comments:

Cecelia Lyden said...

SO NICE TO SEE YOUR EXCELLENT WORK AGAIN.

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

What a lovely portrait of such a creative woman.
All the best with the exhibit!

Debra Kreiger said...

Just love this! The story is cool! What a wonderful new friend!

Tatiana said...

Wonderful work, Maria! One of Your best in my humble opinion.

Mary Beth Brath said...

Hi Maria - love your work. It is always a pleasure to see your posts.

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

I am so happy to see your gorgeous work up on the DPP blog again, Maria!