Saturday, March 22, 2014

Journey Within. Collage. Shelby Pizzarro

Journey Within & Forever - Collage
I noticed for the first time today how much longer the days are becoming. The icy grip of Winter is moving behind us. Spring is teasing us...a little sunshine here, a little hint of a warm breeze there.  And I am grabbing all of it with both hands delighted with the change.

And change and the Seasons shape who we are and the life we live. A quote I often reflect upon is from Henry David Thoreau's Walden. It reads in part: "The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." I firmly believe it is true. Being a "grown-up", accepting responsibilities and the life it brings has a seductive way of siphoning any spontaneity and creativity we may have dragged kicking and screaming into our present. 

But there is an escape. Every time we remind ourselves to constantly look at things differently we rekindle the flame of creativity that dwells within us all. As Artists, it is our stock in trade. 

Travel is the genesis of my creativity. It allows me to break free and fulfill the dreams I dream. It is physical travel, or seeing another point of view through a film, or reading about an adventure. Travel opens the door to my bliss. It has, and will continue, to make me who I am. It is the nourishment my Art craves.

The substrate for the collage is a canvas panel. Art paper, magazine paper, handmade paper are woven together and finished with a French stamp.

Are you resigned to a life of quiet desperation? Are you willing to challenge your conventional way of thinking to live a life of great success and great failure? Are you willing to follow your soul to the place that reaffirms your unique and flawless self? I wish you a life fully lived.

2 comments: