Friday, September 13, 2013

Peter Frey farm plein air by Dianne Lorden

This pastel is of the Peter Frey farm, along the Taneytown Rd., GNMP. It was the rental home of Basil Biggs during the time of the Battle of Gettysburg. Mr. Biggs, a free black man and borough resident, subcontracted to assist in the job of removing the dead from the battlefield and re-burying them at the new Soldiers National Cemetery. The stone home remains, although with an addition. The barn that was there then is not the barn building that's there today. Enough for history!
I somehow muffed my quick sketch and the buildings are "off" in their perspective. Also, had trouble with the barn reds. It was a beastly hot day -- nothing like the lovely breezy, invigorating days I imagine when, in the dead of winter, I dream of working en plein air. I was wilted and soaking wet. And kinda buggy. Too much info?
My fine art website is South Mountain Sketchbook.

2 comments:

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

This has lots of quick looking marks...'NICE EFFECT!

Cecelia Lyden said...

I love the cragginess, quirkiness of this sketch. Never mind the "off" perspective or the barn reds, the composition is great, the colors are vibrant, the strokework appears quick-this is an eyecatching, lively work.