Monday, May 20, 2013

"Bluffs and Trees" pastel by Tatiana Myers.

"Bluffs and Trees"
12 x 12" Pastel on Ampersand Pastelbord.

I'm challenging myself lately to work with my "field pastel palette" in studio setting.
In studio I used to luxury of setting all possible pastel boxes around
and literally having hundreds of choices.
In field I limited to whatever I managed to fit in my field carrier, what is still a lot,
but nothing to compare with my full collection (truth is - all pastel artists are hoarders).
Being spoiled with so many choices, in the field I feel uncomfortably robbed of
my options and often getting wrong impression, that I just do not have the right color,
what I simply can not do without. This is not entirely truth... I just feel this way.
Therefore to gen my mind out of its hoarding mode I limited myself for this summer to
whatever I have in my field box. Plus box of pencils.
This way when at the end of summer I'll travel for my 2013 Plein Air session
in Washington, I will not feel stressed about the fact "I just do not have that right stick"!
"Bluffs" are one more out of those "limited palette" paintings.

I feel I'm getting very comfortable with my pastel box and whatever is in it.
 


7 comments:

Cecelia Lyden said...

This is so nice, Tatiana-love the palette and composition.

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

I would want to be in this beautiful setting - what a lovely painting, Tatiana!

Tatiana said...

Thank You, ladies! Clare, that was outlook from Point Lobos, Monterey. Cliffs there are magnificent. I wish we would have more time to spend there, but airlines weren't helpful. Still; we got to see some of that beauty and I'm very happy with that fact.

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

Tatiana...thanks for sharing such a nice post!

Tatiana said...

Thank You, Sue!

Dianne Lorden said...

I really loved the style you used in this painting - and also what fun to see your box of pastels! Thanks!

Tatiana said...

Thank You, Dianne!
That is my field box what I love a lot and this summer it will be my third season when I use it. In I can honestly say - only NOW I got totally used to it. I should have start working with that thing in studio waaaaay earlier, but it didn't even cross my mind!