Saturday, May 25, 2013

"3 o'clock" by Larry Lerew

 
"3 o'clock" by Larry Lerew
24" x 24" Acrylic on Gallery Wrapped Canvas Sides Painted
#13-05-14
I've been sketching on toned paper lately and recalled the days when I used to sketch on brown wrapping paper or the insides of flattened brown paper bags. My grandmother always saved cardboard from shirt and clothing packaging for me to make art on when I was a kid. I love the color and texture of that paper and how well it responds to ink line work, ink washes and white highlights. So I wanted to bring that color, texture and look to a painting. I liked the warm shadows of the building which is different for me since I usually lean towards cool or blue/violet shadows. I know this painting is simple but it retains a quick sketchy look that I like. The background up close is spattered with lots of color and reminds me of raw linen canvas although this is painted on cotton.
These orange domes with copper green tops are for real and sit upon the old York County Courthouse in York, PA.
I will be entering this painting in the 4th Annual DPP Capitol Exhibit. This exhibit will be at the Pennsylvania State Capitol Building through the month of June then move to Brath & Hughes Fine Art in Mechanicsburg  www.brathandhughes.com  for the month of July 2013.
 

5 comments:

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

I also like the underpainting to peek through and add interest in my oil paintings. This works verys well, and lets all of the other colors sing. Nice work, Larry!

Pat Koscienski said...

I, too, like the look of the toned paper, Larry. Great painting.

Christine Marx said...

Love it Larry.

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

Nice POST!, Larry!

Dianne Lorden said...

This is beautiful, Larry! Just love the way you did - and didn't -complete this work!