Monday, March 25, 2013

"Where Time Stops", Oil Pastel by Tatiana Myers.

"Where Time Stops"
12x16" Oil Pastel on board.
This is my latest finished Western étude painted after out 2011 trip to Wyoming.
Painting is done in oil pastels and one of my biggest challenges here was attempt
to try semi-transparent layering on a background. I wanted to create nice atmospheric effect
on a far mountains, but yet - didn't like the idea of just painting those blue.
After some testing and trying things out I found a way how to make it work.
Generally I had to let every new layer dry as much as possible, before applying my next "glaze"
(with the time oil pastels are not drying completely but getting significantly harder).
Here is the end result... I'm pretty pleased with it.


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful, calm pasture scene. What board do you use and I am amazed with the small detail you get with oil pastel.

Tatiana said...

Thank You, Charlotte!
This is Ampersand Hardbord double primed with Acrylic primer and then with sanded primer (I think I used Oil Prime by Artspectrum for the first layer and Golden pastel primer for the second layer). I'm finding it much more easy to work on sanded surface with oil pastels. Details?.. I paint those with small soft brushes and regular organic solvent. Just have to be very careful, but it is not an impossible task.

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

This remind me of colored pencil...so cool!
Tatiana,This is very different for you in a good way!

Tatiana said...

Thank You, Sue! I'm glad you like it.