Sunday, April 15, 2012

Sunday at Italian Lake, Linda Young Fine Art


copyright 2012 Linda Young
Azaleas of Italian Lake
9" x 11" Pastel

My friend, Clare Klaum, told me Saturday at Mechanicsburg Art Center how beautiful Italian Lake was with the azaleas blooming.  I mentioned to my husband after that, if the weather was nice on Sunday, I thought we should do a picnic at the lake; I could paint and he could photograph and read his book.  He liked that idea.  That evening, Clare sent some jpegs for me to send out to the Susquehanna Valley Plein Air Painters and after seeing how beautiful it was, I had to see it for myself.

It rained Sunday morning but by noon, the skies were overcast and the temperature was warm enough to finalize our plans and go to the lake.  The rain had gone and the sun was trying to break through the clouds.  This is a painting which I did in pastel today.  Pastels are very much an unknown territory for me; but I must say is a lot of fun to put down the colors with intensity.  If you make a mistake, you can just go over it and rework the area again.  My teacher, Donna Mitchell told me she thought I was going to love pastels.  At first I was skeptical and after using them more today and in a short period of time--I think she's right.

My first love will ALWAYS BE watercolors, however.

Linda Young Watercolors
P O Box 941
Carlisle, Pa. 17013

6 comments:

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

What a beautiful painting you have created, Linda! I am not sure I will make it to Italian Lake to paint this week, but I feel as though I have been there just looking at your work.

Unknown said...

Thank you Claire, the photos Clare took are every bit as beautiful as this lake was today.

Cecelia Lyden said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cecelia Lyden said...

A lovely spring composition. I am planning on panting there this week.

Taryn Day said...

Very nice. I love the contrast in value of the colors in the water with the brightness of the landscape. I've never tried pastels- I'm afraid to!

Unknown said...

I've had my pastels for three years and never painted with them until three weeks ago. This is the third painting with them and although my fingers get pretty dirty, I like painting with them. It is easier to build up color than watercolors.