Wednesday, July 20, 2011

WIP - Sonshine by Jennifer VonStein



Things have been a little nutty in my house, but in a great way. In addition to work, visitors and parties, my hubby and I found out that we can officially adopt our foster son!!!! His name is Rial, and he truly is my "sonshine."

I have a vision, an idea for a family portrait that also portrays the adoption experience, that will not leave me alone. I started studies for the portraits. I want it to be more traditional and old worldy, so I am dusting off my art school brushes and doing some flemish techniques. Attached is the drawing, transferred to the panel and the umber layer. Tomorrow I plan to add opaque color, maybe make a dead layer, and then build up some transparent glazes. It's been a while since I've done this method!

And yes, that is a monkey in the background. It's a pattern form my favorite chair. It may pr may not make its way into the final study and painting. :-)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

congratulations on your good news.

Best wishes, Linda

http://www.lindayoungwatercolors.blogspot.com

Autumn Leaves said...

He is gorgeous and congratulations to you and your husband!

Debra Kreiger said...

Congratulations! Many happy memories!

Mary Beth Brath said...

Congratulations to the entire family. Great to see your post Jen.

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

Beautiful little boy!