Friday, January 28, 2011

The making of 'Watercolor Study of Variegate Darter (Etheostma variatum)'


Final Version of 'Watercolor Study of a Variegate Darter (Etheostoma variatum)'
Transparent Watercolor on Crescent Mat Board.
Double matted on Identical Mat Board (Museum Quality)
Image Size: 9" x 4.5". Matted Size: 14" x 11".

A continuation of a series of darters found on the East Coast. This is the fourth
darter of the series. It is another colorful one- similar to the Rainbow Darter
but found a little farther west- in the Ohio River Drainage Waterways.

These small bottom huggers (Around 2 inches long) are one of my
favorite subjects. I love the various markings and especially
the bulldog faces with bugged out eyes.

I wanted to show another version of how a fish appears- like magic
on my paper.

THOM GLACE WATERCOLORS

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Where do you find your resources? Your work is very detailed and wondered how you manage to get so many different fishes?

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

Thom - I was just thinking that I hadn't seen any of your work recently, and here you are with this wonderful progression of your process! This is fantastic - I love to see how it all comes together.

Mary Beth Brath said...

This guy is really interesting. Will have to show my boys. Hope you are doing well Thom.

Unknown said...

Very interesting to see how you start and the finished fish. Always perfect!

Deb Watson said...

Loved seeing it step by step