Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Roosevelt House, 20 x 45, oil on canvas by Ron Donoughe

This is a painting I did in the Squirrel Hill section of Pittsburgh last summer. The woman reading, second house from left on stoop, shows the scale of these houses. She did not know I painted her in until later. Her husband commissioned the painting because they just love the kid-friendly street. I did it on location over a few days. And yes there were a lot of curious children.

As mentioned on the side bar, my painting, Pittsburgh Winter, won an award at the 100th Annual Associated Artists Exhibition held at the Carnegie Museum of Art. The AAP Annual is the longest running annual exhibition held in a major museum in the United States. I'll be talking about the painting this Sunday from 2:30-3:30 at the museum if you happen to be in town.

8 comments:

Cecelia Lyden said...

Sorry I can't be there--would love to hear your thoughts about "Pittsburgh Winter". Beautiful rendering of an inviting neighborhood. Cool shade, warm spots of sunshine, neat,unassuming houses--I've seen many such streets--conveys a great sense of comfort and security.

Bertie Brown said...

I love that red house..the composition is just wonderful, the perspective perfect! a very charming neighborhood...

Autumn Leaves said...

Ron, this is one gorgeous piece. I am heartened by the feel of days gone by here, rather like a simpler place in time still exists. The colors are perfect. Congrats on your award too!

Mary Beth Brath said...

I love seeing your posts. Your website was on my "favorites list" for a year before the blog even started. This is just stunning.

Tatiana said...

Wonderful painting. I like all about it, but light and color are my favorites!

Debra Kreiger said...

What a wonderful painting Ron. I love the composition and that red house just pulls you in!
Congrats on your award!

Maria Kovalenko Leysens said...

Congrats!!!!

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

I know I am repeating what others have said, but I love how the red house pulls you right into the painting. This is a phenomenal painting, Ron - so well executed.